BA, BAI, MSc, PhD, Habil
FBCS, CITP, FRSA, FIAPR, MRIA, MAE, MISI, FIMA, FRSS, SM IEEE, SF HEA
Professor of Data Science,
Big Data Lab,
Department of Computing and Mathematics, University of
Professor of Data Science, Department of Computing, Goldsmiths University of London
Advisor, Thinking Safe Limited; founder and Director,
Multi Resolutions Ltd.
Fellow, Computer Learning Research Centre;
Visiting Professor of Computer Science, former Head of Department, Royal Holloway, University of London
Honorary Professor, former Head of School,
School of Computer Science and Informatics, De Montfort University
Summary of impact and achievements: approximately 30 books authored, 160 journal publications and
more than 160 other articles published; approximately £60 million awarded in research funding;
reviewing and evaluation of journal submissions, conference submissions,
research funding proposals, PhD theses: approximately 1500 per annum.
Contact: fmurtagh at acm dot org
Research and Teaching
- Member of Language and the Mind Research Network.
- Medal awarded,
Outstanding Contributions to Astrostatistics Award
2016 IAA Awards, International Astrostatistics Association.
For his long time contributions to astroinformatics and related areas in the computational sciences;
advancing scientific knowledge in classification theory and image analysis; for his contributions to
the success of the Hubble Space Telescope; for his role on the organizing committee of the IAU
Commission B3 on Astroinformatics & Astrostatistics; and for his long time efforts in dealing with
the statistical analysis of "Big Data".
- Conference programme committee memberships,
invited and keynote presentations 2015, 2016, 2017.
Recent publications, books written and edited, articles in journals, in conference proceedings.
- Guest editor:
Journal of Imaging,
Special Issue Big Visual Data Processing and Analytics". Manuscript submission: 30 April 2017.
Guest editors: Prof. Xinmei Tian, Prof. Fionn Murtagh,
Prof. Dacheng Tao.
- Guest editor, Special Issue of
Signal Processing. Topic: Data Mining in Human Activity Analysis (DMHAA).
Manuscript submission: 1 March 2017. Guest editors: Prof. Xinmei Tian, Dr Weifeng Liu, Prof Fionn Murtagh, Dr Yijuan Lu.
- Data Science, Data Analytics, Big Data -
The New Data Science from the Geometry and Topology of Data and Information
- Digital Content Analytics.
- Computational Science, including innovative models and
paradigms from digital humanities and quantitative social sciences.
- High Performance Search and Discovery, linear
and constant computational time algorithms.
- Massive data sets in very high dimensional spaces.
- Geometry and topology of information and data.
Data Analysis Software.
Multiscale Morphological Modelling, Compressive Sampling.
Events and Some Photos and Videos
Summer school workshop presentation:
The Baire Metric and Ultrametric for
Linear Computational Time
Hierarchical Clustering: Applications and Implementations.
Workshop 2: Sequential Learning and Applications, 9-10 November 2015
CIMI, Centre International de Mathématiques et Informatique de Toulouse,
Excellence project selected by the ANR for the period 2012-2020. Including
Institut de Mathématiques de Toulouse (IMT) and the Institut de Recherche en
Informatique de Toulouse (IRIT).
- Summer School Course, Towards the New Science of Big
Data Analytics, Based on the Geometry and the Topology of Complex, Hierarchic
Systems, 16-20 August 2015,
14th Estonian Summer School on Computer and Systems Science,
Nelijärve Puhkekeskus, Estonia.
- Tutorial, The New Science of Big Data Analytics,
Based on the Geometry and the Topology of Complex Systems, 5 July 2015, at
Conference of the International Federation of Classification Societies, 6-8 July,
2015, Bologna, Italy.
- Special Topic Session organisation,
The New Data Science: Statistical Analysis of Massive,
High-Dimensional Systems (STS019), at
the 60th World Statistics Conference,
ISI (International Statistical Institute) 2015, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Special Session organisation,
Computational Psychoanalysis, at
ICCI*CC 2014, 13th IEEE International Conference on
Cognitive Informatics and Cognitive Computing, 18-20 August 2014, London South Bank
Towards a New Science of Big Data Analytics, Based on the Geometry and the
Topology of Complex, Hierarchic Systems, at the
The First International Conference on Models of Complex Hierarchic Systems and
Non Archimedean Analysis, Cinvestav, Abacus Center, Mexico,
29 April to 3 May 2013.
- Photos and videos - seminars, prize-giving,
awards, and various events.
- Member of the Royal Irish Academy, MRIA;
Member, Academia Europaea, MAE.
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy, SF HEA.
- Fellow of the International Association for Pattern Recognition, FIAPR.
- Fellow, Institute of Mathematics and Its
Fellow, Royal Statistical Society, FRSS. Member,
London Mathematical Society.
Fellow of the British Computer Society, Chartered IT Professional, FBCS, CITP.
für Informatik; ACM,
- Editor-in-Chief of
The Computer Journal, 2000-2007, 2012-2015.
Editor, Section C, Computational Intelligence, Machine Learning and Data Analytics.
- Classification Society's 50th Anniversary 2014: President, 2007-2010,
British Classification Society.
President 2008-2009, Classification
Society (North America)
- Chair, Board of Directors,
Council for Frontiers of Knowledge, Kampala, Uganda.
- Council member 2013-2017, IASC, International Association for
Chair 2013-2015 of the Committee on
Statistics and Data Mining for Knowledge Discovery, IASC.
- IAU (International Astronomical Union), Commission B.3 Astroinformatics
and Astrostatistics, member, Organising Committee.
Astrostatistics and Astroinformatics Portal.)
- Innovation Value Institute IT-CMF,
IT Capability Maturity Framework, Affiliate.
Google Scholar profile (h-index 52, 12732 citations.)
- Erdős number: 2 (details).
- On LinkedIn.
(Currently 1551 connections.)
Previous Posts Included:
- Head, School of Computer Science and Informatics, De Montfort University,
Leicester, England, 2013-2014. (Now, Honorary Professor.)
- Professor of Computer Science in the University of London, 2004.
Head of Department, Computer Science, Royal Holloway, University of London,
2005-2007. (Now, Honorary Professor.)
- Director, Information, Communications and
Emergent Technologies, Science Foundation Ireland,
- Professor of Computer Science, Queen's University Belfast, 1999-2004
- Professor of Computer Science, University of Ulster, 1996-1999
- Senior Scientist, Space Science Department, European
Space Agency, 1984-1996
- Professeur Associé,
Observatoire Astronomique, Université de Strasbourg, to 2007
Research: Publications, Editorships, Projects
- Member of Editorial Board,
Review on Computers and Software (IRECOS), from 2016.
- Member of Editorial Board,
about 1987, and then from Volume 1, 1989.
- Member of Editorial Board,
Big Data and Cognitive Computing, from
- Other journals to be listed here.
open innovation, intellectual property,
- Recent funded research projects, others pending. Around
£60 million gained in research funding.
Inaugural Lecture, 22 Feb. 2007,
Understanding Massive Data Sets and Navigating Information Spaces"